I think you should... (one suggestion per idea)

Player Made Content

My idea is to encourage custom player made content in the forms of custom maps, stories and games.

This idea is mainly for some sort of development kit that allows players to create addition content for the game. This makes almost an endless amount of content that can be generated as seen in other games that permit custom content (unreal, source, minecraft to name a few). This content would exist outside of the main story line and open world perhaps accessible through the SIN Network as like a virtual addition. The toolkit would give access to features needed to assemble content that could be added to the world of Firefall. This content would not affect any item or exp gain within the main game, unless perhaps it becomes popular enough and refined with the help of red 5 devs to be refined and approved.

Maps - The Ability to create supplemental tdm, dm, sabotage and harvester maps and any other game modes that might be added in the future.

Stories - From simple to complex play through either friendly stories or dangerous campaigns with some sort of mission editor and animator for cut scenes and such.

Games -Finally with this it can be something as simple as a program you can request for you SIN overlay. Perhaps something like Augmented Reality Geocaching throughout the open world or even custom parameters that can be set to create whole new game modes. Nova Ball anyone?

I understand that this is a lot but in the end I think it would be greatly beneficial to the game as a whole. It would be beneficial for players as there would be far more content and possibilities with the game. But I feel that it would be even far more advantageous to Red 5 and the game itself. Increased traffic more content takes some of the weight off the devs shoulders. As a result there going to be more income to the game. I speak for myself here but I would not be opposed to paying for access to a content library for creators or something.

This is just a rough idea with it but that's the beauty of it and this feedback system. You have a community of people that love this game and want to help with it, we just need a way to be able to do that.

Sorry, couldn't really figure out what category works best for this idea.

--Axis Nova

109 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
axisnovaaxisnova shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
SteelPeregrineSteelPeregrine shared a merged idea: Put Players to Work (aka. Instanced mission editor)  ·   · 
LordMaddogLordMaddog shared a merged idea: Let us build for you!  ·   · 
ContraQContraQ shared a merged idea: add map editor.  ·   · 
MoisstMoisst shared a merged idea: Pvp Map maker  ·   · 
currently not feasible - review in the future  ·  schinderschinder responded  · 

User content in form of addons is going in the game on a regular basis.
It’s a great idea to have more content done by users but currently we don’t have the resources to develop the tools and safety mechanisms for the community.

16 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • JGSantiagoJGSantiago commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had seen a number of projects on the forums for independent mods people were putting together, like the LVG course creator. I had thought the producers would eventually choose to incorporate the better quality items into the game. The race track creator seemed a lot more involved than the race lines that eventually made it in though.

A number of other games include some kind of 'Foundry' mission creator as well that allows players to generate missions and eventually campaigns. Neverwinter I guess and STO as the biggest examples of this. It might take a lot of the content pressure off them and give them an opportunity to focus on their main story and core gameplay again. By providing more tools for the sandbox players will be able to create more content and share it within the community. Right now the player driven, dynamic events are really just trigger instances there is no real control over.

Open up an instance like cliffs and let players create missions around that instance of different operations then start incorporating the best/more popular items into the background story.

• ChryisChryis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essentially out-sourcing art to the community. It's a good idea to stir up emotional attachment and community involvement, but will it degrade the overall art style that our team has worked hard to maintain?

I like this idea and I want to vote for it, but there must be an art liaison to make sure there's a standard the community meets.

• DonlerDonler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the exact reason that Tribes: Ascend died. The developers could not release content fast enough to keep up with the fans' interest, and the developers refused to let the players help out (or in their case, create maps)

Find out what is the easiest thing for players to assist with and allow them to. We are willing to help in various levels of complexity as is evident by how much this thread has grown.

• JoulesJoules commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

lots of potential, not easy to implement well

I'd say: first launch the game, if that goes well, have a serious look whether player created content can be made possible

• Kodiak BreakerKodiak Breaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, as things are now if you want to fight the Chosen you are basically forced to group. Which is not good.

• Kodiak BreakerKodiak Breaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree I00 percent, this is the way to generate additional content. Have some Game Managers "oversee" what gets the Red 5 stamp of approval and there you go. Content a-plenty!

• Bishop_45Bishop_45 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that the implementation of sdk will probably not be included until the game comes out, and I can understand that they want to develop their software themselves, but a mapping tool for pvp maps would be really great, and a way to host a pvp match, like a dedicated server, that would probably enable this game to become a real esport :)

• greenfalcon44greenfalcon44 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All they need is an item that enables you to create a story, and once a player chooses the story, that in a flow list an event would happen, such as a person is created at x y place, and such and such they will say. A few animals attack you at x y place. and such happens you complete the mission. I sure hope R5 makes an story editor. This would make the game. I'm sure they could charge 1 red bean for anyone wanting to complete a sub story.

The biggest thing is that they need to create the main story line first, so that all sub stories can correspond to it.

• NightD1NightD1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds like an awesome idea they would even bank putting out a dev pack to let gamers make stuff like that I would totally set up a server getting sponsors and content even brake out my 3d rendering dusting it off Command and conquer renegade style.

• S.0.A.D.S.0.A.D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If, R5 see that as an option, i would say that the idea from LandsharkRAWR is pretty usefull so that these content run/happens in a different location + server/realm whatever.

the problem is that not many player will be able to do (programm) an own "addon"(dlc what ever) then. => so we need an relatively easy to handle Map/etc. editor and that (still @Anonymous) means a lot of work for the devs.

• LandsharkRAWRLandsharkRAWR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Player made content could be placed in space in space stations, or in the middle of the ocean like the rig, or to better place them into the world use a holodeck of some sort

• ThespurginThespurgin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's been discussion on this, and I strongly agree. Both in terms of PvP and PvE this holds considerable promise.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice!

Now that all the hard work has been done, all that is needed is coding and implementing! Easy!!

(actually no, it's not)

Feedback and Knowledge Base