I think you should... (one suggestion per idea)

ARES Missions & a Dynamic World: Add Consequences for Failure and Success.

Currently ARES missions, while very fun, are more or less separate from the overall meta-game of the chosen war front.

Success or failure for missions that logically would make a very large impact in the world. Like chosen bombs next to transhub, do not cause any changes in the world whether failed or accomplished.

This gives the game a feeling of being disconnected. I'm not sure whether its in the works, but would it be possible to weave ARES missions into the dynamic world so that actions taken by players to disarm bombs, recover payloads and data, actually have a tangible impact in the game's world?

1,429 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
ryunokageryunokage shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • lesserboblesserbob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see Ares missions where they just dont sit there and wait for you to come to them. I would like to see them come after you.

What if, with an ARES mission the "foothold" they speak of actually was a reality. The mission wasnt acted on, so now they become a bigger arm and spread out, taking bases off us. Pretty soon we (as a group) have no choice but to confront them as the enemy was left unchecked and now has become a very large army.

I would like to see sections of map under control of the enemy and our armies could unite to puch them back

BIG BATTLES

• VablaVabla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! It should be all about consequences of failing rather than the rewards of success. I mean the whole POINT of the missions is to prevent something very bad from happening.

• SteelPeregrineSteelPeregrine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, the linked video early in this discussion mentions "Staged Content" I don't know if you've dropped this idea or not (I hope not, it's one of the key appealing factors of the game) but there is little to none of it to date. Instead of implementing crafting restrictions and other useless limitations on gameplay, why not focus all firepower on the super-star destroyer that will keep players busy for ages to come?

Have consequences for failure, as the OP suggests, and game-world rewards for sustained success, new colonies, expanded zones, etc.

• 3V3N3N_3L3V3N3V3N3N_3L3V3N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have to be careful of the consequences we want in the game, think about it, if it is too much of a big consequence, and you are there thumping with you're squad, maybe you wont have a choice and stop doing what you WANT to do and go do whatever you don't feel like..

• ChryisChryis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On a small scale, Arc Mission steps can fail. We can add cool arc step mutations that occur on certain failures.

• EverChangerEverChanger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A nice consequence would be add a repulsor to some ares missions or in chosen Border invasions. Make them try to pull the melding in like in thumpdump and cut off a portion of the map like south of SH, stonewall, Thumpdump and the entire North east side. Then to Capture it back would be to have a Mini melding anomoly show up where we need to call in a thumper with our own repulsor on it. In short you lose versus Red/purple creatures the map is toast for 5 min :D

• ThatDarnCatThatDarnCat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too get the feeling that nothing we do as characters in the game makes a difference. No matter how many time I fail to solo the bomb because I'm the only player in a region there is no real consequence in the game.

I like the idea of more chosen/marauders/bandits in a given area after a failure, or the downgrading of a major city's power level. I also think the areas need to be cut up a bit more so that failing a single mission would allow the melding to spread to the smaller land division, unlike losing TD and the entire area reverting to melding. It's hard to help retake TD when you can't even walk close enough to see TD before dying.

• raowynraowyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Things like no power over a region are indeed dire consequences - but given the setting - they are 100% appropriate. This is a war for survival - make it feel like one.

• CrotaroCrotaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Figo, I don't think that's what is meant by "consequences". The consequences most of us probably have in mind are things like "Chosen Bomb detonates -> area in an x metre radius covered in melding" or "bandits manage to hijack x terminals -> (Player's) SIN scrambled for n minutes/hours" ooor "Chosen/raiders steal weaponry(recovery payloads)in certain amount of time -> Spawn more elite Chosen/Raiders"
    You see what consequences I'm thinking of? Of course, since we're all hired by the Accord, it wouldn't make much of sense to punish the players themselves for failing a mission, but instead of punishing the players, the enemies/environment should just become more dangerous.

• FigoFigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is actually more realistic to not have consequences. You are a hired contractor and the Accord needs you. Your skills are a valuable resource, they would not want to punish you for a gap in their defenses.

• raowynraowyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm losing interest in FF for two reasons: (1) crafting progression takes FOREVER due to absurd research times (2) I feel like I'm just running around with no purpose or effect on the world. All those ARES missions sound important, but they have no consequence.

• NeoKorpNeoKorp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good suggestion.

But here's my concerns:
    What if there's not enough people to do the ares missions and others to achieve those rewards.

Will that have an impact to the gameplay or enjoyability of the game?
    Will the remaining players have to do a grindfest just to get that "achievement"?

Hope I'm expressing myself well.

• CrotaroCrotaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous: They WILL bring that in. As far as I understood it will work about the same way the Melding Repulsors work right now, but in a much larger scale. We'll have to activate them, fend off a lot of enemies from the Melding and reclaim a new area. And if this area gets lost because of a large scale invasion, the melding will cover, thus sealing, the area for several weeks or a month or two.
    That's at least my latest intel about their plans.

• CharwindCharwind commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally I think it's a great idea to give the game more of a dynamic feel. I mean if we feel our actions have impact it keeps us feeling involved and keeps us coming back to play. I'd also like to see us able to push back the melding eventually so we can have an expanded map and continue the fight further. Still I'm sure they'll bring that in

• nkrogknkrogk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From Firefall Player: "I have run into players who purposely put the wrong resonator in one after another in order to grief other players. They try their hardest to waste the time of other players. This is not a joke. Personally I wish the bomb, when disarmed wrong, only affects the player that puts in the resonator. It should damage their gear, and kill them. If it must down other players make it so it doesn't damage their gear."

I have placed the resonator in the right colour, but it was registered as wrong and then zapped for it. So this option should only be based on previous behaviour. Would hate to be punished for something I did not go for.

• ButterflyRocketButterflyRocket commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

failed events vs Chosen should auto give the Chosen the area. then there would be more "hot Spots" for events, and players could retake more sections of the maps during game times.

• VvreeVvree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is in the works but not to be released until the dynamics can affect the world fairly. If you can image a chosen energy bomb, taking out Copacabana SIN tower, from someone accidentally placing the wrong resonator would suck badly, Perhaps they will cause damage or take down the level of the city by one, but we will not know till it is introduced. (Expect it within the year)

Information provided in Q&A

• BlackcompanyBlackcompany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm out of votes - guess we're supposed to grind for those, too - or I would vote this up. I really would.

I recently took a break after the third "Chosen Bomb" mission in a single day. Its rolling bad, the way they harp on how bad it will be if the bomb goes off. Then I failed one (low player numbers on the server) and...nothing. No consequences. Nothing happened. It was hilarious, in a sad sort of way.

Invasions. Incursions. ARES. Nothing we do matters. Nothing changes this world we inhabit. Its all number crunch and grind, without a thought to player driven anything. And I'm taking a break until and unless it changes.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base