I think you should... (one suggestion per idea)

Long range snipers should get reward for mission/event completion

Currently, sniping baddies in missions/watchtowers from long range results in no reward for event completion. Between this and the loss of loot drops from the range, sniping seems to be an unsupported playstyle.
Whatever the fix is, whether tracking kills/damage done to enemies in the event area or whatever, something needs to be done.

2,263 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
t3hsquirr3lt3hsquirr3l shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
DruphianDruphian shared a merged idea: Change the way looting works for recon  ·   · 

111 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • RyuPhalianRyuPhalian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that this has been "Under Review" for over a year now I believe shows how much Red 5 cares about the Recon/Nighthawk.

• DaynenDaynen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of my favorite pastimes in the open beta was taking my nighthawk to Antarctica and sniping.

EVERYTHING.

The zone size and layout were conducive to finding a nice, high peak and picking out targets all over the zone. Thumpers, bandits, chosen, didn't matter. I could hit anything, and it was awesome.

• NecryelNecryel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kill tracking seems the fairest means. A snipers range can put them out of "Mission Area." But so long as they are damaging/killing mission related baddies, they should get credit for assisting with said mission. As far as the problem of loss of loot to players much closer. this problem can be solved in one of two ways: All players responsible for damage of a particular enemy will get a percentage of the crystite and mineral drops collected from said baddie even if they are not the ones who physically collected the loot. Alternatively all loot in a related mission is collected and then awared evenly among all participants once said objective is completed

• PhantomShadowPhantomShadow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A retrieval "pet" would be wonderful and AUTO-SHARE would definitely solve everything as long as it did not treat all loot the same as "items" instead of spreading it fairly according to value making sure each player gets something nice along with the other stuff.

• PhantomShadowPhantomShadow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that after a certain time like ten-min or something the loot should be available for anyone. IF you are in the group "as a sniper" you should be able to "shoot to pick up" items but your rate of pick up should be on a "cool-down" or "countdown" of something between 10-20 seconds so people who are "sniping" CANNOT just steal everything worth anything by playing a "sniper" role.IF you have a sniper in the team your rate of pick up is ALSO on a cool down to stop the team from leaving nothing for the sniper to take as loot.

• Nolo ContendereNolo Contendere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my two red beans.... Yes something needs to be done to support this class of frames. Any of a number of good idea have been presented here: Auto share loot among some sort of group. Shoot the loot for delivery. I like the idea of a retrieval pet. Different participation ranges for the various classes.

Something.... With the drop loot scheme of things it is obvious that some frame are going to better suited to than others, however, if you want to promote the team concept you need to encourage people to play those support roles.

• DuggeekDuggeek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(o/t response) Yards and meters are not the same. You couldn't spot a target in-game at 500m without using 4k resolution. Those Marine ranges are used to qualify for top marksmanship and not pass/fail for firing a weapon. So saying "you can't shoot" is plain trolling. j/s

All of that has *nothing* to do with the topic; justly rewarding players who use long-distance attacks to participate in ARES missions and Open World events. In the Firefall world, it seems that anyone outside a 150m bubble from the site is not included in the rewards. That's what we're really talking about. This isn't a personal stage for a marksmanship pissing contest.

• SteelPeregrineSteelPeregrine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, also, I didn't specify, those Marine ranges are with assault rifles (fired in semi-auto and burst) and without scopes. If you're using a scope at under 500m, sorry to be the one to break it to you, but you can't shoot.

• SteelPeregrineSteelPeregrine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I totally agree with the OP, Snipers need to be able to snipe and get credit for doing their part. I had my friend in his nighthawk in my squad and through the cave opening from across the ravine, he dropped about a dozen chosen while I dodged about and blew up their strifebringers. . .he got no credit for that amazing example of marksman teamwork.

Oh and one more thing, snipers (the sniper rifles at least, perhaps not the AR) need to have real sniper ranges. Modern day US Marines train on firing an assault rifle at ranges of 200, 300, and 500m (yd actually), and that's every single one of them, not the snipers. Why then, does every game with shooters assume that a long shot for a sniper is like 200m? That's like remedial marksman range really.

• DuggeekDuggeek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes... and no. I see a lot of support, but also some sentiment that Recon archetypes should be granted special (and pretty unbelievable) abilities. I'm seeing that some are willing to trade-off for some ability to loot from a distance, but that's essentially o/t for this suggestion.

The main thrust is having Recons included in event & mission rewards, even when they operate near maximum range. I tend to agree, but I also look cautiously at whether players will start using this as a farming technique. (1- find spot in an area, 2- shoot and 'participate' in one or more events going on, 3- camp and loot from a distance, 4- profit!!) While it may seem like a desirable play-style, others might find it an unfair advantage in the Recon class.

For my own part, I agree that Recons deserve recognition when involving themselves in a mission, even at maximum range. (otherwise, why is there such a long maximum range?) In a squad, this should manifest as shared loot drops and a steady sharing of vital drops like health and ammo. We'll just say that loot drops are steadily arc-folded to squadmates as loot is picked up. Squad play should still be encouraged, and Recons can be a vital part of a strong squad.

For the "lone wolf" players, I'm thinking that the status-quo is just what you can expect. After all, it's not supposed to be an easy or low-effort playstyle; it just takes patience, a keen sense of timing and quick reflexes to both hit your mark and get yourself out of trouble.

So, for the missed missions, even when you get a few licks in, I'm all for Recons getting their fair share. For the other things, get used to putting in effort to cash-in on your kills. (gliders and LGVs come to mind)

• AedeAede commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry to say that, but if I use a sniper class like Nighthawk or Raptor, I'm usually at medium distance (let's say about 50m). I think you guys seem to forget that those sniper classes have stealth or teleporting abilities that let them do their job more easily or that can help them to get out of crazy situations. I can't understand how players want to snipe 200m away from the bots, in fear that they will get killed as soon as they're in a 20m reach of them.
    Of course, Snipers shouldn't always rush, but they've enough possibilities to leave a hairy situation if they need to. So get out of your comfort zone and try giving your sniping life a little bit more action. ;)

• RedwyrmRedwyrm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to made similar topic, but this one is popular already.
    So, what need to be done IMO:
    First of all increase range from which player can earn reward from participation. Obviously to 215, as max possible shooting range.

Second is looting problem for snipers. Either they let their loot disappear, or they have to leave their lovely sniper's nests, which is quite stupid of course. There are 3 possible solution for that:
    a)Give all sniper rifles special ability to loot on shot. Of course recon should be able to loot only personal loot this way, no common loot like in tornado epicenter pocket.
    b)Give sniper rifles another special ability. If target was tagged with sniper rifle, the loot will drop near sniper, rather at the corpse. SImilar solution was introduced in Guild Wars 2, at World vs World open world pvp. To allow player loot everything, without trying to rush in enemy ranks in attempt to loot.
    c) (probably easiest to make) Another ability to sniper rifles. If target was tagged with sniper rifle, loot that drop after will have extended timer to stay before disappear. So sniper can comfortably keep sniping from afar, and then event is done, loot everything.

• CybershamanXCybershamanX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hrmmm... I would say this needs to be looked into. However, I think it should be required that you be within at least some sort of minimum range or kill a minimum number of enemies. At any rate, it gets a vote for something to look into. Nice idea post! :)
    (from a sniper...) ;)

• CmdrLanceCmdrLance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bad idea, why should player receive reward when there is no risk? Sniper far away from enemy reach. There should be always risk versus reward ratio. And other sad effect if long range sniper starts to get reward without any danger to themselves. Because players will exploit everything what is possible by game rules. Getting lots xp / rewards without danger.

• CmdrLanceCmdrLance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not good idea to give long range players rewards. Basicly to earn reward there has to be risk. Being position where enemy cant do anything to you, and you should get everything else as those guys fighting in base, no! This has also some other side effects, people will always go where the fence is lowest, if this give same xp and rewards than actual people doing mission. This just provokes tons of snipers sitting around hills and getting easy xp/rewards without any risk and effort.
    Rewards has to be risk vs reward basis.

• Starsong AlphaStarsong Alpha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found that for now, the best way to fix this is to move in close to the event when it starts. Close enough that Aero/Oilspill/Brody (Or whoever the current Accord contact is, I forget his name) starts announcing details to you. Now the system has registered you as participating in the event. Move back out to your happy place and have fun putting your targets in an unhappy one. The rewards will be yours when the event is done.

• ThatDarnCatThatDarnCat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have not gotten credit for several events because of distance. I think it might be a personal bug, since some people claim to have gotten event exp. Either way, it's disheartening to lose out on drops already, but to lose event exp just makes it worse.

• MerusalMerusal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> I snipe at extreme range but I ALWAYS have the xp specially if I head shoot the target.

I could not care less about creature XP.
    What I DO care about is me killing a third of an incursion force, sniping from extreme distance, and not getting any reward for defeating the incursion.

• MagmaTungMagmaTung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea, but should only be implemented for NPC Enemies and not PvP.
    This way people dont take advantage of this and abuse it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base